Repair and Maintenance of Solar Hot Water
Solar water heater repairs often happen because of the following:
- Leaks from tanks and pipes
- Solar collectors not working
- Problem with the electrical components
- Discoloured water
- Not enough hot water or water is not hot enough
These problems are common and may happen from time to time. However, a good way to minimise their occurrence is by having the solar hot water undergo periodic inspection and maintenance. This task often checks the following parts, components and functionalities:
- Solar energy collectors (e.g. dust can make these less efficient)
- Plumbing and wiring (leaks, loose wiring connections)
- Flashing and sealant around roof penetrations (there could already be a leak on the roof’s underside)
- Nuts and bolts attached to the solar collectors and support structures (especially watch out for corrosion)
- Pressure relief valve (make sure it’s not stuck open or closed)
- Temperature sensors and controls
- Tanks (leaks, cracks or rust)
- Inspection and maintenance can be done according to the suggested schedule in the owner’s manual. This can also be done more frequently or much earlier especially when you suspect that there’s tank corrosion or the solar collectors are already dirty.
Because the task requires working at heights, the ones who do the job are usually licensed and insured professionals. Also, solar water heater repair and maintenance requires expertise not just on solar energy, but also on electrical and plumbing. Working on solar hot water systems also requires expertise with different hot water brands and makes.
In addition, the solar water heater you use might be facing certain issues such as the use of hard water (causes build-up of mineral deposits), overheating (usually because of little hot water use) and freezing (for areas with temperature levels that drop below 6 degrees Celsius). For these problems, specialised knowledge is required.
If you’re looking for hot water specialists, contact us here at NSW Hot Water. We carry out hot water repair, maintenance, inspection and full installation. We work on several water heater brands such as Rheem, Rinnai, Dux, Aquamax and Bosch.